Re: Electrix MoFX : Is it worth it? - user interface considerations

Rick said (about the MoFX):
> so what turns me on about the MoFX is that you can play the effects
>rhythmically like a percussion instrument and I don't really know
>anything else that uses that paradigm.
> if it weren't for that particular (and to me, exciting) aspect of the
>unit, I wouldn't even consider using it as just an effects processor.

and later on went on to state:
> You want bang for the buck and a very low profile,   try that wonderful
>red 1/2 spaced BOSS VF-1.

So I'm wondering: why don't you take a VF-1 (always remember: you can
have four of them in the same rack space as one MoFX, unless you're
using a shallow rack), or ('though I'm repeating myself) a Nord
Modular G2 Engine (1HU), and combine it with something like this:

http://www.akaipro.com/mpd24

...and program the stuff so that you can do exactly what a MoFX does -
or something else entirely where you rhythmically trigger stuff or do
other crazy things. True, it doesn't have the nice flashing LED ring
around the tap tempo button, but apart from that...

A lot of the contemporary effects processors (and also of the
non-contemporary) allow for parameter modification via MIDI commands:
with the VF-1 (and also the old Sony GR-MP5), you can have up to four
parameters per patch controlled by MIDI, with the FireworX, the
Eclipse and even my old Digitech StudioQuad there are eight of them,
and there's tons more with a truly modular system like the Nord.

Now look at the sixteen (velocity- and pressure-sensitive) pads of the
Akai controller: would you like to use eight of them to punch in
distortion, separately for left and right channel and for four bands?
And use another one to suddenly change the delay length? Only your
imagination is the limit here, no need to be stuck with that user
interface of an otherwise dull effects box like the MoFX.

Just a thought,

             Rainer

ps: no, didn't do it myself with this specific setup, but had been
successful with a KP3 and a BCR2000 in combination with Mobius in Sus
mode.