Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

My take on it is probably not going to be really popular, but here it
is.  I've tried to do things more "canned" in a sense.  I developed a
little set up that was more like a Kid Beyond type of show.  I took it
out a few times and got good response, but it was kind of boring for
me.  I didn't really like doing it.  Like Rick said, it felt "canned."

However, I think the audience doesn't care, and in fact probably ends
up appreciating the pre-composed bits more. Here's the part that a lot
of your won't like.  I like the composed bits more too. I found myself
mostly bored with the the loop wankery at all the loopfests I've seen
and I'd much rather see a !loopstation! show or a Kid Beyond  show.
The stand out loop shows I've seen that come to mind are the two I've
mentioned, Andre LaFosse, Amy X Neuberg, Brian Kenny Fresno... all
pre-composed tunes for the most part.  Sorry, I consider myself among
the boring though, so I'm in good company.  It's no secret that the
audience for loop fests are the loopers and we're there as a community
more than anything else.  I just don't think that we should kid
ourselves into thinking that what we do is for an audience.  It's for
ourselves first and foremost.  I think that's great, and in a sense a
more pure art... it's just not always that fun to observe.