Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances

From: "Zoe Keating" <info@zoekeating.com>
> i'm not connected to the classical world anymore. i play a looped
>version
> of the 2nd mvt of beethoven's 7th symphony and it gets some  classical
> people REALLY upset (just read the comments on a youtube  recording of
>it)
> like they are personally offended by it. i tell them  its a COVER of
> beethoven, and i can do as i damn well please ;-)

Excellent!  I agree with you wholly.  I even see this ridiculous attitude
in
popular music.  I've played with a few rock musicians in the past few
years
that have felt that if you don't play it exactly as recorded, then you
have
no right to play it.  It is a ridiculous notion.

I'm glad that you put your own style on the piece.  It is not an insult to
the composer or anybody else.  It is simply an expression of yourself on
the
music.  What is the point of 1000 musicians all playing the same piece
exactly the same way?  It serves no useful purpose.

Keep doing what you are doing.  There are a great many of us that
appreciate
what you do.

Bob Amstadt