Pro composition/scoring (Re: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational Live Looping Performances)

Since no one reacted to Ricky Grahams post yesterday I would just like
to state that I think it is a very good thing that people can focus on
composing and get credited for that. A person doesn't chose to work
with composing because he/she can't play! The point in scores is to
come together as an ensemble to realize sounding music that can't be
created in any other way. The groundbreaking Escalator Over The Hill
wouldn't exist if Carla Bley had not composed it, that's just one
example. I had the chance to sit down for an hour and talk to Elliot
Sharp about his composing and I think it makes total sense to regard
the ensemble as "his instrument". I was amazed to find out that in his
scoring for these ensembles he is using the same tricks as I do in
looping and dynamic effect processing. But when working with a real
ensemble you are also able to take advantage of using this cool
parameter called "musician's interpretation". Sharp scores stuff like
"random loop slicing" and sets up alternative choices for each player
to give the ensemble music ("the composition") generative abilities
similar to DNA evolution. The music evolves on its own, like life
does, by the design of his composition. I don't think he is a music
nazi ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se