Re: ambivalent feelings about playing live (was: PrePrepared vs. Improvisational)

From: "Mark Sottilaro" <zerocrossing@gmail.com>
> I honestly think we're our best, and possible only audience for live
> improvised looping.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  I
> just don't think we're part of any music movement with any sort of
> relevance outside our group.

Whenever you look at forms of music outside of the mainstream, there will
be
a huge decrease in audience size.  A big part of it is that the marketing
simply doesn't exist.  When you are bombarded with mainstream music on
radio, on television, in elevators, on hold on your telephone, and
everywhere else, you expect music to sound a certain way.  Deviation from
the accepted sound is weird and nobody wants to listen to that.  At least,
that is basically what we are brainwashed into believing.

There is a segment of the population that does deviate from the norm and
can
appreciate the music made through improvised looping.  Ultimately, the
success of any business endeavor is tied to marketing.  Music is no
different.  The trick is to find the audience that is out there and to
develop a new audience by exposing them to something that they didn't even
know that they would like.  Part of this is drawing new audience to gigs.
Part of this is connecting with the audience at the gig.  Perhaps another
portion of this is drawing an Internet audience.

Personally, I would like to help this process.  I am considering the
possibility of sponsoring a looping open mic on a regular basis here in
San
Jose.  I'd very much like to hear from anybody that would be interested in
participating.  I don't have a venue at the moment although I'm
considering
using my own home to begin with to see what sort of response we can get.
My
thought is to have a featured artist or artists for the event and then
allow
anybody who attends a chance to get up and strut their stuff.  I'm even
willing to provide one of my own looping devices for anybody to use at the
event.

What does everybody think?

Bob Amstadt
Looperlative Audio Products