hardware vs software - this time from a blind man's view (was "Re: two little guitar loops")

Dear JPR,

yes, I know what you mean by "hardware". Actually, my second point
(the "computer without hardware") was targeted at that fact that, as
you continue to point out, the majority of hardware effects (at least
those most people here are interested in) are in fact embedded
computer systems, featuring some sort of software inside of it.

Now regarding your quest for an easy-to-use solution:

I will in fact stick a little bit with the computer-based approach,
simply because it's easier to customize a man machine interface here.

The most important thing for you seems to me (and I'm of course open
for any corrections to this statement) for you to have a man machine
interface which doesn't require visual feedback of any sort. This
means:
 1. any commands you issue must not be context-sensitive.
 2. any controllers you use must have good haptic feedback for you to
identify which controller command you're about to issue.
 3. any sort of information feedback from the computer (other than
what you hear in your music) must be haptic.

ad 1:
This affects both the structure of the software solution and of the
interface you're using. I'll try to give one example to see if that
makes sense to you:
in an earlier implementation of my computer-based looping setup (using
Mobius), I would select tracks by linking the "previous track" and
"next track" commands to a footswitch each. When I changed my approach
insofar as to look at the screen less, this did no longer work:
earlier, if I wanted to switch to, say, track 1, I had a look at the
screen, and if track 3 was selected, I would simply press "previous
track" twice. The changed approach:
I added a BCR2000 faderbox which has a row of buttons with eight
buttons. Now I simply hit the leftmost button in that row to go to
track 1. This is no longer context-sensitive: pressing that button
will always bring me to track 1.

ad 2:
this of course kicks out beautiful solutions like the lemur
jazzmutant, and may also make options like the Akai APC40 with its
huge number of buttons somewhat cumbersome. Also, foot controllers
might be a problem (are they?). Now my question: how about something
with motorized faders? Or something like an Akai MPD24 (4x4 Pad
matrix, six faders above it, and two rows of four endless rotary knobs
each beneath it). Would that work for you?

Another controller which comes to mind (even though it looks very
Eighties cheap SciFi) is the P5 dataglove: You have a total of eleven
control channels (x/y/z position of your hand, x/y/z axis rotation of
your hand, bending of each finger). And there's a software that maps
this data to MIDI messages. Might something like this work for you?

ad 3:
again: would motorized faders work?

Again, this is just meant as a collection of thoughts tossed out - not
a solution which works for you.

Best,

             Rainer