Re: how about that midi sequencing in the LP-1 and Mobius?

> Per said:
>> > .......how about that midi sequencing in the LP-1 and Mobius?
>> Not Mobius if you ask me.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Rainer
Straschill<moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Interesting to hear that. I believe to get your point regarding
> staying in the timing scheme of a loop when doing rate shifts as
> opposed to a strict time base coming from a sequencer, but I found, on
> the other hand, using a pattern sequencer like Ableton Live (which I
> do use mainly as a VST host for, among other things, Mobius) does
> actually help if you want to stay in some sort of absolute time frame.
> In a way, this comes close to what Claude Voit used to do with the
> pattern sequencer of a Nord Modular G2 in combination with some EDPs.
>
> For the general concept, I quickly found that when controlling Mobius
> with a sequencer, I tend to turn off any quantization and only keep
> sync within Mobius (if and when applicable) but not between Mobius and
> the sequencer via VST Host or MIDI sync, instead assuring sync via
> retriggers sent from the sequencer.
> When using the simple forms of rate shift (e.g. going into halfspeed
> at the beginning of the loop), it's rather simple - the loop length
> effectively doubles in the time domain, however, this is, as you
> pointed out, not as simple if you use more complex rate shifting
> patterns.
> However, when I do that, I usually like to have that happen in steady
> timing intervals, not in steady "loop content intervals", so doing the
> shift sequence with commands sent from the sequencer in its time
> domain (instead of shifting from a loop at specific 8ths/subcycles)
> will keep the rhythmically very noticeable shifts at the timing
> intervals where I want them - and I can make up for any resulting
> misalignment by using the retrigger wherever I need it.

Yup, you have it perfectly right, Rainer! I would do it just as you,
if I would want to control the looper's actions from external MIDI
sequences. But today I just find scripting simpler. A simple and
minimal performance rig opens up for more adventurous playing, which
is where I have always wanted to place my priorities.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com