Re: toys for non-musicians (was: online real time looping sequencer game)

Ha ha ha.. Have to say that on the whole i agree with you Mattias.. except for one small thing... I LOVE the sound of sterile!! And so does my wife! Im not as much into it as her, but she actually hates music that you and I would say has soul... She hates beats that have ANY frills or swing or syncopation, (or rolls) . And she hate ANY kind of solo-ing...  guitar OR keyboard... She can just about tolerate Kraftwerk, saying things like "They are a bit too melodic". She listens of 80īs german synthpop or techno only (oh and Marc Almond,  I think thats her one and only quirk into anything expressive)

Much as I love the sound of simple instruments, lilke a rain stick or a drum... she would run screaming for the hils wailing "UGH ... HELP... ETHNIC!!!"

My point is an obvious one, dont forget that all people are different, you and I love feel, and expression in music... Hilde, my beloved, would prefer that there was no human role whatso ever in the making of music... (Im very interested to hear that Mark S sits next to 5 robots... is it your band Mark?)

Im really interested by what you say in your first sentance, the wording of it...

you didnt say...

I dont think that the music which such tools do is any good...

but..

I dont think that the music which such tools do us much good.

Are you saying that music made with these tools is actuall bad for US... us meaning the human race? This is interesting. I think I may agree with you, but I am less concerned about how the music was created but more concerned that people are listening to music in this way (plugged-in on white cables - shut off from the world) as far as Im concerned iPod users are listening wrong, and that THIS is bad for humanity...

Serious Question: Do teenagers nowadays, sit in their bedrooms with friends playing records...?
http://tinyurl.com/ledz8r

Mark

Sorry, I dont think that the music which such tools do us much good.
Even if the controller is smart and expressive (which most are not), the problem is the sterile electronic sound.
for me its similar to the idea of the food pills: even if they bring the flavor of the best cooks of the world... always exactly equally perfect... they never vary!

sure, most people do not have the time to really learn to play an instrument, but they are better off playing a pan with some water in it, or a rain stick...

and thats the reason why I still spend most of my day trying to spread the livelooping idea:
its every time new!

Matthias