Re: living without money(O.T.)

I've done a number of long hitchhiking trips, and they were some of my
most formative experiences. I think it helped lead me to my current mode
of traveling/touring, and even to the kind of work I can handle doing
for money. I need to have control over my time. I feel very lucky to
have ended up in computers, which has enabled me to have complete
flexibility, working by the hour from anywhere. (The
getting-paid-by-the-hour component is important - the concept of salary
never sat right w/me).

I wasn't necessarily going to share this here, but after some shakeup in
my personal life it has turned out that I'm not going to be based in
Mexico anymore. For the time being I don't have a fixed address, I'm
just bouncing between friends and family in the eastern half of the US
while preparing for my next tour. I don't feel the need to have a solid
home base, and with wanting to tour most of the time, it wouldn't be
much of a home base anyway. But my communities are VITAL to me, whether
it's old friends or groups like LD where there's common ground from
which new friendships develop. That's where my solidity is.

Funny, just last night a friend told me that there's a growing movement
of people doing something like what I'm doing, and then Stefan mentioned
the couchsurfing groups (which I'm definitely going to follow up on).
Inspiring.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com