Re: Windows 7

To balance the discussion:

I bought a cheap HP (Compaq) Vista box, making sure it had one extra
slot for my old M-Audio Delta-66.  Expecting the worst, I began with
the notion of just getting internet connectivity dialed.  I used a
Hawking USB wireless adapter.

No hitches—connectivity came up after plugging in my router key.
After a few days mucking around, downloading Audacity so I had a basic
recorder (ditched all my old Win-98 Sonic Foundry suite of tools), and
had them feeding the regular audio outs. No problem.

Finally I decided to see if my 10 year old audio i/f was going to
work.  Opened up the box, installed the card, started the system and
had a couple bad internet searches for drdivers, finally found the
correct driver, set up the control panel, done.

To my absolute amazement, my system pretty much came up as a
plug-and-play install.

I feel Vista is a bit "chatty" regarding security, but otherwise it's
been a breeze.  If Windows 7 is better I'm totally stoked.

I know many folks have trouble with MS, but I've heard lots about
Apple stuff too. Your mileage may vary . . .  -m

On 8/6/09, Jim Goodin <jimgoodinmusic@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to rollback I can get you a copy of XP but depending on the
> hardware you're dealing with, getting XP drivers particularly audio can
>be a
> chase.  I recently did an HP laptop and though I found the drivers kept
> playing shell games with the audio drivers, it would work then it would
>be
> canceled out by another driver update.  In the end I had to give it to
>the
> end user without sound but XP was stable so they were happy.  I've done 3
> rollbacks in my day work.
>
> For some things I tend to agree re Apple as that's what I use beyond my
>day
> work but neither system is without 'sin'

Miko Biffle
Biffoz@Gmail.com
"Running scared from all the usual distractions!"