MIDI foot controllers (was Re: GigReminder: Live tomorrow morning on uStream)

Jim,

first of all, Mobius is really flexible with regard to using MIDI
controllers and also features an auto-learn option, so you can
basically use any combination of different MIDI controllers and
control via keyboard and map virtually anything to anything. Most
importantly, the usual button presses (triggering functions or
scripts) can be program change, CC or note messages, so you really can
make it work with any kind of MIDI (foot) controller, ranging from the
old and cheap Boss FC-50 over the well-known Behringer FCB1010 to some
MIDI organ bass pedals.

Among the devices currently on the market for foot controllers, there
seem to be three contenders (in decreasing order of use and increasing
order of price - all price references in Euro). Behringer FCB1010 for
around €140, Roland FC-100 for around €320 and Gordius for around
€500.
Of those, only the Gordius connects via USB, all the others need MIDI.

The biggest disadvantage of the Behringer is its large footprint,
which may be a no-go for airplane travel with a small setup (and
budget). Also, some people have reported that it's not exactly that
sturdy if you confront it with the hazzles of (airplane-based) road
travel and general professional use. I myself have two of them, and
both are still working fine (despite some intercontinental touring),
and price-wise, you can go through more than three Behringers before
it breaks even with a Gordius.

As I said, you may also try to get a used Boss FC50, which is much
smaller (and you can leave the external expression pedals at home if
you don't need them) or something similar.

There is an editor software for the FCB1010 btw (I think it's by the
same guy that also makes the Gordius controller) which allows for easy
setup of this thing. However, it will also work with Mobius more or
less out of the box.

I believe the biggest challenge is how to assign the different Mobius
functions to the footswitches and pedals. I use the two pedals for
track volume and secondary feedback respectively, and have the Mobius
commands spread over three banks of ten. I recently also decided to
assign a preset of my BCR2000 faderbox to Mobius (I'm using that
faderbox anyway to control the other parameters in Ableton Live) and
with that I have all track volumes, pan and primary feedback
parameters and buttons for select and mute track under my fingers.

Btw, there's also the possibility to use only a small amount of
footswitches and map them in a context-sensitive way using scripts.

interface to work. Then look for controllers.

                Rainer