Re: Samples and looping

perhaps you see it this way because it is not your original work which is
sampled and then not compensated.  yes, the illegal download and
filesharing have made it so that the actual recorded work can hardly pull
in the amount of money for the artist that it once did.  but just because
the artist can barely make any money off of it doesn't mean that someone
else should.  so now, if you use someone's sample in a work without
clearing it, they can then sue for every cent made off the recording--
maybe not as much as they would like, but...  i doubt that the verve
enjoyed all of the proceeds of "bittersweet symphony" going to
jagger/richards, but they should have cleared the sample first.  so, i
don't think any harm was really done to society there, huh?--  the people
that wrote the work which was used so extensively get paid for the
misappropriation of their work by getting all proceeds from the song,
since no deal was worked out beforehand.  peer-to-peer
 networks and the availability of legal downloads have conspired to do the
album in and usher in a new age of the single.  here's hoping that the
ease of sampling others' works doesn't lead to the degradation of
intellectual property law, or even no-talent hacks can claim to have
"created" something by stitching together others' works into something
that they feel is their own.  people can manipulate others' images as much
as they desire in the privacy of their own home, but the minute they try
to make money off another's work without their ok, that property in
essence reverts back to the original creator, thank goodness.  at least
for now, until the cretans win another victory for sham creativity.