Re: Ultrabeat live pattern drum sequencing in Logic

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Buzap Buzap<buzap@gmx.net> wrote:
> Can you tell a bit more about your approach?

Not much to tell really. I simply play MIDI note that switches
UltraBeat pattern. Of course you have to prepare some patterns first
to keep loaded in UltraBeat. And of course you have to enable the UB's
sequencer and its Pattern Mode before you start. You may load it with
patterns of odd lengths for some poly rhythm fun as well.

> I love using Ultrabeat but I haven't looked into the potential in live
>looping context.

I don't use it with live looping because it feels too much of a back
track situation for my taste. I use it when producing recorded music
in a studio setting though.

> OK, this is quite weird, but could you theoretically prepare samples for
>UltraBeat, then record new samples on the fly, overwriting the old ones?

No. This has been a main wish of mine for almost a decade now and I
have been lobbying to developers to create this kind of hybrid
instrument but with no luck so far. FXpansion created GURU along a
related approach but did not pick up the live feeding aspect at all.
GURU only swaps samples on running sequences from a library saved on
the drive. As far as I know only Expert Sleeper's Cross Fade Loop
Synth is closest. With Cross FAde Loop Synth I managed to set up this
http://www.perboysen.com/archives/161
and have successfully used it for jamming and recording.

Oh, I almost forgot that the live looping Mac software Logelloop has a
built-in plug-in called Granulaterre that does this too. Logelloop
also has this cool feature that you can set up presets for the entire
looper to switch between by foot pedals - and you can set the
transition between presets to happen slowly, like morphing. This makes
sense for continuous parameter settings, like if different track
panning or pitch shifting is used. I love overdubbing a loop of twelve
unison notes and then kick the pedal to glide them all into a twelve
tone cluster. The most evil sound you can imagine.
http://logelloop.logellou.com/en/Home.html

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se