Re: Composition & Improvisation (was Re: Terje Rypdal was ECM guitarists)

Mark,

I just wanted to pipe in and remind you that you're not alone it this.

A lot of us (I for one, as you very well know) fly by the seat of my
pants pretty much all the time.

But often I am so tired by the time I stagger up on stage (from all
the gear schleppage and all the miles driven) that I am simply running
on empty by the time I play the first note.

Unfortunately, the only material I have under my fingers to "fall back
on" is more suitable for a folk hootenanny or church picnic than a
looping or avant-garde music festival.

I think, sink or swim, it is better to trust in the benevolence of
one's muse(s) to guide when one comes to the end of one's musical rope.

Letting go of the rope is what faith is all about (a concept that I
think can be understood by both religious and non-religious types).

Cheers,

Ted