Re: Composition & Improvisation (was Re: Terje Rypdal was ECM guitarists)

Gareth Whittock schrieb:

> I hate playing without a structure - unless there isn't an audience. I'm
> getting into recording my private jams of late and whilst there often
> are "good bits" in there, I would not be comfortable imposing that
> amount of essentially barren noodling on an audience. I prefer to
> condense my work for live performance, with some scope for
> improvisation. This may just be because I am not a natural improviser.
> It's more composition for me.

Don't mix up noodling on a recording with noodling in front of an
audience. If its live, the audience appreciates it, even if its just
noodling, because they are part of a process. And there is a chance that
you get inspired and put up some magic moments. Noodling on a record is
just boring because its missing that "being part of a process" which is
the most important one in the concert situation...

Composing is much harder, you compete with Beethoven...;-)

Compare listening to Greatful Dead on a bootleg (replace with your
favorite noodles), and being there at the event...

Stefan

--
Les Ondes Mémorielles---------x--