RE: Deconstructing Vocal Looper Martin O.

It depends what does it for you. I found him irritating and engratiating and his music sucked too. I don't care if someone is shoegazing as long as they're reaching for something real. If it takes a lot of button pushing to get the effect then go for it I say. This guy is an audience pleaser first and foremost and as such I suppose he was successful, (though it was hard to tell how the audience were going to react until they did).
I was at an amazing sitar recital last Friday and the sitarist, (Panjit Ajit Singh) made no attempt to entertain the audience while he was playing. He was totally in the zone - an so, by a process of ozmosis were we the audience. I felt, leaving the art gallery where the recital took place, like I'd just done an hour of yoga or meditation- completely transported. If I could leave an audience of mine in that state I would feel I'd done well. but as I said, I depends on what does it for you.

peace

ps I saw a looping thereminist, (Alexander Thomas) last night looping to some slo-mo film clips of explosions and rain - quite interesting but too damn loud...

> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:43:15 +0200
> From: buzap@gmx.net
> Subject: Re: Deconstructing Vocal Looper Martin O.
> To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
>

> > Nice looping, as you say very simple, personally hate the music.
>
> I'm not suggesting that we all go out doodling happy music. ;-)
> His style seems genuine for him. But for one thing, he is a professional entertainer who keeps a full room of mainstream audience fascinated with looping the entire evening.
> And he has optimized (&simplified) his looping setup/process to effectively serve this purpose.
>
> For a person like me, who is at the moment trying to squeeze-in a Mobius script into every possible controller button, this is quite refreshing. ;-)
>
> best regards
> Buzap
>
> --
> Jetzt kostenlos herunterladen: Internet Explorer 8 und Mozilla Firefox 3.5 -
> sicherer, schneller und einfacher! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place - Learn more!