Re: Trancy soundscape

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM, andy butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:
> hey Per,
> I didn't know that, but it's really interesting.

Ok, then... "rarely" would be a more appropriate word than "never"
;-))  If static repetition is happening in a mix it may often be
accompanied by another sound that adds the subtle modulation part.
After all, a fundamental production technique in trance techno  - I
would almost say the trade mark of the genre -  is to apply subtle
variation of timbre to parts that are musically repetitive.

> Is this a clue that listener involvement isn't helped by exact
>repetition?

I definitely agree with that! Exact repetition is a great component in
music but should not be mistaken for "music". Spend a day out
listening to a pneumatic road work drill engine for a good example: it
might sound cool for a minute but then it starts repelling the
listener's involvement. A shaman drumming session on the other hand is
helping listener's involvement because of the subtle variations in a
repetitive pattern. Does that make sense?

Per