Re: Trancy soundscape

Exact repetition is a great component in
music but should not be mistaken for "music". Spend a day out
listening to a pneumatic road work drill engine for a good example: it
might sound cool for a minute but then it starts repelling the
listener's involvement. A shaman drumming session on the other hand is
helping listener's involvement because of the subtle variations in a
repetitive pattern. Does that make sense?

Per

I would have to disagree with that. I see the point of monotony with subtle variation being interesting, but to say that exact repetition is not music.. well that's a HUGE statement of preference. In Trance that may well be the case (whatever Trance is now... it USED to be any Techno that was cool, and psychedelic, but now appears to relate to any Techno that is total rubbish, but..)

No, one of the things I LIKE about repetition is that it is repetitious!!! Of course, its interesting because of how a change occurs later, or how the repetitous peice got there in the first place, but its the fact that the composer make the listen listen to something for a number of time with NO change, that makes the change, when it comes, interesting... now if that repetious phrase is constantly changing and morphing, and modulated, then its NOT repetitious to the same degree...

An a shamans dumming being interesting after a number hours, i seriously doubt that, and if it is,  im sure its not because it subtly varies.. no, I think its because the repetition has put you into a state, where anything is interesting... even a road drill.

:-))

Mark

--
www.markfrancombe.com