Re: Why Amanda Palmer is Not Afraid to Take Your Money

Very, very good post.

I've been struggling with the issue, since as a consumer of music I find I'm purchasing a lot less music these days. For instance, I've been enjoying Pandora, and I don't really play albums of a specific artist like I used to. I like being surprised, and I've discovered a lot of music I like. Maybe my favorite Pandora discovery is an English jazz-funk band called "Down to the Bone."

I figured I ought to buy something since I liked them so much, so I ordered a t shirt, and I ended up having a nice email exchange with the front man Stuart Wade.

Had he asked me for a donation, I would have happily provided one.

I used to easily drop a couple hundred dollars a month on cds, and yet right now I couldn't honestly tell you the last cd I bought. I'll try to buy shirts and stuff, but I have no problem with donations. Makes a lot of sense to me. I don't mind being a patron of the arts.