Re: "art" & money, was: amanda palmer

At 3:43 PM -0700 10/7/09, Miko Biffle wrote:

>  > next: who should compensate them?
>Whoever decides that they would like "the product" for themselves.
>This is basic commercial business ideology. Please don't suggest
>that what's mine should somehow be available to other's FOR FREE,
>without my authorization. That's called THEFT or PIRACY.

Wait a second: I think we're going off on a -- while perfectly
valuable -- tangent, it is a tangent nonetheless.  Not to drop the
main topic entirely, I don't think the crux of the main argument has
much to do with piracy per se.

Rather, I think we should remember that what we're truly dealing with
is the simple and easy commodification of music and "art".

In recent years, technology has made it easy to produce music on
one's home PC that is technically far superior to anything that was
readily produced in professional studios only a couple of decades
ago.  This has enabled many, many, many, more people to realize their
musical aspirations than has been possible at any other time in
history.  We all know that already, and I think very few of us view
it as a bad thing.

The problem, however, is what happens to that music once it has been
produced.

Well, a lot of it is put out there for free, as a labor of love.
This, for better or worse, has created a glut in the market.  You can
download hours upon hours of high-quality music without ever even
being asked for a cent in return.

So, the issue is not an audience that demands, "Give us your music
for free or we will pirate it anyway."  No, the issue is rather that
the audience is saying, "If your music isn't free, then we'll just go
download music from Joe over there, who *is* giving it away for free."

The argument deals with the de-valuation of music, not whether it's
being "stolen".

And, like I said, the threads on piracy are valuable and should
continue as a side-discussion.  However, I believe that de-valuation
of music (and "art" in general) is a more difficult -- as well as a
more important and long-ranging -- issue.  So I, for one, don't wish
for that point to get lost in a wash of anti-piracy sentiments.

Thoughts...?

        --m.
--
_____
"beyond this window, night is shuddering and the earth grinds to a halt