Re: is live looping only a one man band playing technique?

I think most music is more interesting, both to play and listen to others playing, if more than one musician is playing together. We did that in Florence as the looping festival's grand finale and it was great fun, but with ten people on stage there is not much room for each one to also create loops ;-))

Playing a solo piece and playing as part of an ensemble may require quite different ways of using your brain and focusing your attention and creativity. For a musician that has learned to play by himself it may be a quite big step to jump out and play in a group setting. I think this might give some background to the fact you are pointing at; that quite a lot of live loopers prefer to play solo pieces. It's also important to not forget that we all have different attitudes towards the act of playing music. Some folks play music because they enjoy the control aspect in creating beauty while others play for the love of destruction and the "fresh new unknown" that is born out of chaos. These two musician types together won't make a band tic, looping or not ;-)

I'd say that the choice is yours! If you play at a festival you may ask the person playing before or after your set if you could possibly overlap your sets by ten minutes and play together for a while.

When discussing live looping in group the issue of "sync" is often brought up. My experience is that sync is not very important. A few times I've played with brother synced EDP's together with other musicians and that was really cool - for example, SUS Substitute stuff lining up on a grid much quick than you can do on one EDP. But I also think it's really cool to not sync your individual loopers but constantly stay on your toes  and change your loop as soon as it starts sounding bad together with what the other musicians are doing. If everyone in a looping band stands on-the-toes-of-his-ears (jeez, can one put it that way? I'm not native English speaker) the music that comes out may become quite interesting.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.perboysen.com