Re: new instruments for film work

hi Erdem,

get yourself a klarnet
(Turkish metal clarinet in G).
The low range is easy to play and can sound like a duduk(mey).
:-) and you're already in the best place in the world to get one.

as far as I know, *all* the Turkish instruments are pretty good.
If you want something really exotic, you could always
try blowing a ney like it was a trumpet.

If you want to source some useful percussion without
spending a lot of money then here's a selection of
the sort of thing usually available from "world music instrument sellers".
These may look a bit odd, but they can sound fantastic

1)
Goblet drum from Thailand.
Looks like this:-

http://www.thaimusic.net/glong-yao.htm

good deep sound, and mellow tone that blends well with other
instruments in the mix.

2)
Low pitched gongs,
the ones that look like this are fairly common

http://www.thaimusic.net/kong.jpg

3) and this one will guarantee you to record a track right away

http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/hapi-drum.html

for fx (although this is vst)

this could save you a lot of money on ethnic instruments
(as the smaller ones are so much cheaper)

http://www.mathons.com/chopitch.htm

can make any drum/gong/xylophone sound lower pitched without quality loss.

andy butler