Re: Looping Mixer Recommendations

Rick Walker wrote:
> I've used a Mackie 1402 VLZ for many years and I've just beaten the hell
> out of it and need to replace it finally.

why not get it overhauled?

> I love that the mixer has 6 mic pres and a lot of routing possibilites.
> I also love that the mic pres are really loud and very, very quiet.

> I'd love something, in an ideal world that was small like this but
> also had 4 aux sends instead of the 2 that the Mackie has.

4 aux sends just doesn't happen on small mixers ;-(

> Do you all have any recommendations about new mixers on the market that
> are comparable (but preferabbly cheaper) and/or that have the
> aforementioned
> 4 aux sends?
>
> A smaller profile would be nice too.  I'd even give up Mic pres to get
> lighter weight and possibly more Aux sends.
>
> Unless Berhinger has radically improved the quality of their pre-amps
> I'm NOT looking for a recommendation for their stuff.

If you're giving up the mic pre's then a Behringer line mixer might be an
option (?).
...and most of the Behringer stuff has Rane equivalents, but usually with
slightly
less routing options.
...but of course, the Rane stuff is much extra expense.

The Behringer Ultralink ( Rane SM26s ) is 1U with loads of routing options.
Could use that for the sends and get another 1u mixer to handle the
returns.

Thing is, if you wanna detail exactly what you wanna achieve it's much
easier to make suggestions.

If you've got loopers on the aux sends then you maybe don't need a
seperate aux for each
one. One aux send and a split cable to 2/3/4 loopers would work absolutely
perfectly ( as long as the looper is 100% wet).

andy butler