Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video?

As a sidebar I think I should explain a thing and reiterate a point.  Michael [Peters] initially did the first Y2K sampler from this year's show and though I shot the day I attended and planned on doing a video piece, Michael led the way with this year's post-promotion and most excellently.  He did a similar snippet approach meaning a few seconds from each person's set that he included.  I was thinking a tad longer on each segment as I believe I shot up to a minute of all the performers I videoed and let me say yet again this was not a custom edit of the people I responded to, this was literally everyone that I had the opportunity to document based on my schedule.  I arrived with Daryl at about 1:30 so there were atleast 2 acts that I missed.  I first shot Glenn then Rick and would have shot Ty but frankly I was doing my setup and was side by side so I really couldn't afford the time sadly and my apologies to Ty.  So I got everyone that I could possibly get.  To capture footage for myself both solo and the CP piece which I didn't have to do and I guess in a sense some vanity there but I knew Bob [Amstadt] who was streaming out all the shows to  uStream had discovered that he could record the sessions and I'm sorry I didn't realize that he was using ustream initially or I could have showed him the way to capture the sessions earlier.  I used Bob's footage for me, CP and Travis at the end as my batteries were exhausted.

Re the choice of time limit though I could have done longer I would have gone over youtube's time restrictions for a video though as my daughter said I could have broken up into Part 1 2 etc. but I was thinking one concise piece so I had to fall within 10 minutes.  I could have also gone longer and put on Vimeo but YouTube has the larger audience potential so I chose it though honestly I prefer Vimeo.

So I realize to give this spattering hardly offers a fair shake to what a day in the life of a loopfest is about but for the average bear out there who might stumble through the forest it's about what they can bear based on the edict set by the music industry so many years ago of 3:30 for airplay that conditioned the masses.

If I had time I would have liked to a) shot more than the one partial day and b) shot interviews, peole talking outside/inside and turned it into more of a documentary which hopefully before it's all said and done may be in the works.  Or as a thought what might be more realistic is to have several people shoot each day with all this and then pool video.  I would volunteer to coordinate editing or physically do it though I know there are several fine editors in our wings.

Best folks and thanks for watching and giving so much response on this.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Rainer Straschill <moinsound@googlemail.com> wrote:
Already some time ago, Matthias asked (regarding Jim's video):

> while watching, I asked myself and would like to ask you all:
> Who is going to watch this?

For that specific video: people who were at the festival, and who have a taste in music similar to Jim?

I haven't been at that specific festival, but I have been watching the stream (in parts) and the recorded videos (browsing through them and diving into what seemed interesting to me).
The video does not show the quality of both some of the artists and of the stilistic diversity properly - no wonder, cramming like twelve hours into eight minutes will have you either focus on your personal faves, or only grant a brief glimpse of each artist.

But hey, I'm here with the majority of the commenters: I wouldn't go to a looping festival as an audience member, even if I knew what "looping" means. This makes as much sense as making a music festival of "performers who were born on Christmas Eve" or something.
Sjaak's approach does make sense, but as Andy so rightfully said, it does not make sense to call it a "Looping Festival" if it's an ambient festival where the performers all use loopers - you don't call Wacken or FullForce a drumming festival, only because all of the metal/hardcore acts have a drummer. (1)

So then, does it make sense to do a looping festival? Perhaps more as a community event. Or an ambient festival focused on looping artists? Perhaps more so, because audience can identify with the "ambient" moniker and can ignore the looping thing (as Sjaak said).
I already had this discussing with Rick Walker where I told him that I don't consider myself a "looper", to which he replied (and I'm paraphrasing here) that's odd, with all the looping music I do, looping festivals I play and input I give to LD.

So much for some unordered thoughts - if there's a synthesis to be drawn from this:
1. doing a "looping festival" does not make sense - except as a community event.
2. if you're doing a looping festival focusing on ambient, call it "ambient", not "looping". You owe that if not to your audience then to all them loopers who don't do that boring washes of sound for hours *g*.

           Rainer

(1) As a matter of fact, I'm not sure that all of the acts which attended Wacken or With Fulll Force Festival ever did have a drummer. This was more posted as an example, and frankly, I assume they do have.

--
ReUse, an introspective textural aural
www.myspace.com/CtReUse

music links...