Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video? (one man band, no style)

On 12 Dec 2009, at 14:33, E Gross wrote:
>> .no need to specify looping in the headline, as most people have no idea
>> what that is anyway. In the US at least, the term "One Man Band" would
>be
>> more understandable by the general public.

Might be so, but my guess is that it would keep people away rather
than attracting an audience - because nothing can beat a band when it
comes to sounding like a band.

"Cello Cloning", as when one single instrument is used to drive
looping gear, would be more attractive then, I guess.

Then we also have the kind of live looping where the looping take the
role of a music instrument and I think this can attract some public
curiosity. The resulting music may sound very different compared to
what the live source instrument normally sounds like. In this context
"improvisation" can become "instant composing" since the improvising
loopist is not only reacting to sound in the moment but also
manipulating looping based sound processing and the building of longer
musical structures.

To repeat, I see three main ways "live looping" can be interpreted:
1. As a "One Man Band".
2. To clone an instrument.
3. As a (meta) instrument.

If going public (talking to media etc) it's good to know where on this
list ones activities are to be placed.

pboy