Re: What public is attracted by a Y2K Sampler Video? (one man band, no style)

Per Boysen said:
> To repeat, I see three main ways "live looping" can be interpreted:
> 1. As a "One Man Band".
> 2. To clone an instrument.
> 3. As a (meta) instrument.

Then, there's other possibilities:
4. a DJ/dance music producer, who fires up loops he cut from vintage
records and does this in front of an audience.
5. repetitive music forms played "normally" (e.g. minimal music)
6. an artiste riding on a monowheel through a looping while playing an
instrument
7. any other weird ideas none of us educated people might ever have.

Still, I don't believe it matters to the audience if you do looping or
not. They are interested mostly in specific styles, or in specific
artists and artists similar to them. To stay with my ridiculous example,
somebody who goes to a looping event because he believes it's choice 6
above couldn't care less if the performers actually did "live
corkscrewing" or "live flaminghooping".

Let's take something similar as an example (and this goes away from
Per's line of thought, and more to Sjaak's): a "DJ festival". Similar
thing: some acts put together and what they share is the use of
turntables (or today, not even those anymore). Google a little bit, and
you'll find that the vast majority of those events feature more or less
exhaustive subtitles, e.g.: "Hungarian Electronic Music DJ Festival" -
"Summer DJ Festival Zürich - Douse, Deep-House, Tech-House
Progressive-House, Balkan-House Latin-House" - "DJ Festival @
afrofestivals" etc.
So you definitely can choose the right festival based on the music style
(although the Zurich event seems to feature a huge diversity of styles ;).

           Rainer