Re: Learning to deal with internet precence (was: What public is attracted by a...)

On 14 Dec 2009, at 08:41, andy butler wrote:

> Matthias Grob wrote:
>
>> (a big advantage of selling cassette tapes: you can visit a client
>> and look where he stopped your music :-)
>
> If your online stats have bandwidth for the files you can
> tell if many listened to the end.

yes, its interesting for us musicians to learn those web methods,
thank you!

...but you cannot check at which point exactly the listener gives up?
that was very interesting in my case

for example youtube does only count plays while its really totally
different if someone can just be made curious but immediately gives up
and the (probably rare cases) where someone watches to the end.
We could ask them to include this in the stats, somehow!

also: depending on site it is reasonably possible or very difficult to
jump in the video/audio, or to scan it through in some way. For demos
collections as we have been talking about it would be great if someone
curious could jump over an act he does not like to see whether he
likes the next. Since this is difficult in youtube, its important to
put the most attractive stuff right in the beginning and be aware that
any strange moment can kill all that comes after.

we can complain about such problems, but the truth is that artists
always had to care about how to present their work in the real world,
be it to make money or just to inspire friends...