? re: digitech echo plus (bit rate)?

ok, i was watching a youtube vid on a guy demoing a digitech echo plus (is that the pds 8000? not sure).
anyway, the things it could do were kind of cool 8 sec of delay, came out in the late 80's (i know frisell has used one in place of his old EH 16 DDL),...

he was showing the main features of it, slapback echo (he seemed to be into the "rockabilly sound"-played some real twangy reverse strat so he looked like a sort of righty hendrix, he was kind of funny), and i think he did a longer echo demo, then did a bit showing the 8 sec sample format (he of course didn't show enough of that, which i wanted to see!!!!). someone on another forum i check (the gear page) was talking about this unit can do the funny pitch changes by playing w/ the time knob (i think?)-and said that's one thing the frisell exploits greatly.
anyway, my question:
the echo plus demo funny man said-that the device uses 8-bit vs. the nowadays most digital pedals use 24-bit. could someone explain this to me. i mean sound-wise i thought the echo plus sounded great. i know there's been talk of this before here, (i probably tuned out), i'm just going on what i heard heard from the vid (i'm sure not pristine quality) but it all sounded good to me....

thanks,
s---
www.myspace.com/scotthansen