Re: What public is attracted by a Y2

This is something that's discussed in depth in my local experimental
music community.

As much as they may like the actual music, it's very hard to get
people to go to a concert or listen to a cd if the music is described
as "cutting edge", "adventurous", or even "new". A more successful
tactic may be to draw similarities to music they already like.

I can think of 2 possible reasons for this. Not sure which is more true.

1) I think human brains have an aversion to "too much information" or
"unknown quantities". If I were to ask an average person, "Would you
rather go to McDonalds, or to someplace where the rules of physics
don't apply," most folks would choose McDonald's.

2) As someone who listens to a lot of "out there" music, I find that
the more people claim their music is "bizarre" or "like something
you've never heard before", the more sophomoric and predictable the
music seems to be. I find the best weird music is from people who've
been doing it long enough that they don't find it weird.

--
Matt Davignon
www.ribosomemusic.com