beatboxing

Last week, Chris Sewell <lunamusic@mac.com> was like:
> I just can never make my mind up about "beatboxing". Is it
> silly or is it cool? It always sounds like a guy spitting into a mic.

Beatboxing is one of those grey areas. I like it in some contexts and
not in others. I like to listen to people beatbox while they're
working on tasks or thinking about something else. I don't like it so
much when folks're doing it performatively. The only case on CD that I
can recall that I like right now is Thom Yorke's "Black Swan". (In
that case, it's sampled.) Guess I can't claim that my opinions make
any sense.

It's not too hard of a skill to pick up - probably easier than
learning harmonica. I find it useful in thinking of percussive parts
for songs and when bored.

My friend Jon Leidecker tells me that the Korg Microsampler's preset
samples are of beatboxers. To me, that sounds like a terrible idea.

Matt