Re: Ditching the computer...stuff for sale

Well, I haven't given up on looping all together. It's the computer that I
have issus with now.   I am still open to using a floor looper once in a
while in certain contexts.  I think looping is a great tool if used
appropriately.  It will not be a defining factor of my music, but I have
no
doubt that there will be a few performance where I break out that small
Boss
RC2.

I could very well return to the laptop in the future..maybe 2-3 years,
probably more. My cycle for these sort of major changes seems to be in 7
year increments, however. I started looping in 2004, and didn't add the
laptop until 2005.  I could be 50 when I start using the laptop again, and
if I do, it will be a MAC!!!  It will be a different interface...no
MAX/msp,
but some other system entirely.  By then, I would hope that the technology
is so advanced that I don't have to touch the computer, but it will be all
voice activated and interactive.

Kris

> Kris,

Forgive my delayed reply here.  I'm kind of surprised to read that
you've decided to hang up your looping gear.  At the same time,
looping isn't all things to all people -- it has its own peculiar
capabilities and limitations.

However, software-based music-making contains a risk: namely
option-shock.  There is an overwhelming amount of capability -- and
overwhelming is an understatement.  Sometimes one views all the
software-driven sonic capability with excitement and sometimes it all
becomes burdensome.  The risk with technology is the loss of
spontenaety.  To go through menu after menu of VST  sounds can be the
equivilant of wandering forty years in the desert.

My prediction is that you will return to laptop-based processing in
the future.  Well, not to worry -- technology isn't going to go away
and it will be there for you whenever you decide to return to it.

All the best!

-- Kevin