Re: If you had to state 5 rules of a successful music compositionfor 12th grade students...

Quoting margaret noble <margaretnoble2000@yahoo.com>:

> Hello Loopers List,
>
> This thread could turn into a complicated philosophical discussion.
> I aim rather to put your ideas in a box for my students to have a
> performance criterion/check list of what they should nail on their
> first electronic music composition based on the simplicity of Reason
>  and "Fair Use" sampling in Protools. It is assumed that they have
> no  previous music knowledge and are forging their way through to
> try  and find a measure of success.
>
> So, I'd love to hear your top 5 (or more) descriptors/performance
> criteria of a "successful" composition.
>
>  Margaret Noble - Sound Artist
> Sound is Art Magazine - http://margaretnoble.net/soundisart
> Artist Website - http://margaretnoble.net
> New Record Label - http://femrecords.com/

A successful composition:

1. Is not overly-repetitive.
2. Starts with a simple idea and builds slowly (in other words, don't
play all your best licks in the first minute of the music and leave
yourself nowhere to go).
3. Reaches the audience.  (for example, if it is dance music will
people actually want to dance with it?)
4. is genuine (that is, it avoids faux-emotion and trite sentimentality)
5. is as effective at moderate volume as it is at loud levels (with
the possible exception of dance music that is enhanced by a good, loud
beat).

I can think of other, more technical factors, however for a first
project I would prefer to encourage their enjoyment and participation
in the act of creating music.

This sounds like a wonderful project.  All the best to you and your
students.

-- Kevin