Re: If you had to state 5 rules of a successful music composition for 12th grade students...

That's what I guessed. I attempted to steer my suggestions a little
bit towards electronic pop, dance music and hip-hop.

However, for the last few years or so, I've been thinking that there
are some universal rules for what draws people to a particular song
within a genre. For example, the most successful experimental
musicians are following some of the same rules as the most memorable
pop music:

1) Figure out what unique qualities you bring to the table (your
musical persona).
2) Try to develop and express those elements
3) Try to reduce elements that would distract from your musical
persona. (These often tend to be tied the expected forms of your
musical genre. Personally, I find drum loops to be the biggest
offender.)
4) Lastly, listen to your music as if you're not the person who made
it. Are you getting those points across?
5) Find a friend who "gets you", but can be an honest critic, and
listen to what they have to say.

That wasn't meant to be 5 elements, because I already made 5. Hmmm...

--
Matt Davignon
mattdavignon@gmail.com