Re: If you had to state 5 rules of a successful music composition for 12th grade students...

i have been reading some of these, and they are good suggestions...
some of this reminds me of why i don't miss teaching (college level art) any more.
i liked it and worked hard at it, but the last few yrs, after doing so much adjunct teaching for no pay...just got burned out.
it got me thinking, my life as a visual artist (for close to 40 yrs now)...i think the thing i like and why i keep doing it, is i don't like any rules. i just want to do what the F*** i want to do, for the longest time in my sketchbooks i just like to scribble mostly....but it took me a long time to get there....
as this relates to music (or projects)-i'm reminded of a story from grad school (when i got my MFA in painting)-i did a # of projects on sound art back in the early 90s...my prof told me of his trying at one pt yrs earlier to do a joint art/music class w/ a music prof entailing "sound art" principles...he said the music prof. bailed on the class b/c he thought that artists don't really follow any rules like musicians have to...i always sort of think about that when i'm playing my guitar...& since i'm mostly self-taught-i'm not so bogged down in the rules (and boy i break a ton of them!). oh well, rambling thoughts...good luck w/ your suggestions...i have none, i always tried to give my students as much freedom as possible, which is what got me in trouble in the end.....Philip Guston said: "the only thing the artist has is Freedom".
s---
www.myspace.com/scotthansen