From: Myke Atkinson [mailto:mykeatkinson@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 1:25 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Brian Eno about recorded music

Hey all,

I've opened a reply email to this thread four times and keep closing it
down for fear of getting too passionate, but I'm finally going to throw in
a couple bucks on the issue as I've spend probably months of my life
having this debate with various folks in various forms. I work as a Music
Director as a campus and community radio station and, as a head's up to my
position on the issue, we do not accept digital submissions. Here goes:

ENVIRONMENTAL COST/HIGH OCCUPANCY
I agree that yes, there is an environmental footprint in the creation and
distribution of recordings. But at the same time, I look back on my
musical learnings as a child, flipping through my Dad's record collection
and seeing the amazing album cover to "Physical Graffiti" by Led Zeppelin
(housed in a beautiful custom die cut which you could change what/who was
sitting in the windows), and I remember loving that record before I even
put it on the record player. I truly doubt I would have had the musical
connection I have now without these early experiences of  simply gazing at
these amazing album jackets, something not possible if my Dad's collection
had been handed to me on an external hard drive. I'm having my first kid
in a month, and someday I hope that they grab onto something from my
collection and treasure it as much as I once did. Yes, I know that this is
an emotional retort to a logical point, but when has music fallen in the
category of logic. Ha!

ARTWORK
My early experiences with album artwork might have influenced my love for
album artwork, but I LOVE good artwork. I understand your position Tyler -
if I had a dollar for every album in my collection with terrible artwork,
well... But, at the same time, if I had $100 for every record I own with
beautiful artwork which enhances my enjoyment of that record, I'd be even
richer. I know this might not seem like a fair balance, but I honestly
believe that records with good artwork take my enjoyment to levels I would
never achieve otherwise. For example, I would never have gotten into the
amazing catalog of music on the Intr.Version label in Montreal if it
weren't for their thread-stitched CD covers. I would never have gotten
into the noisy meanderings of the Vancouver Fake Jazz scene had I not been
enticed to buy a number of their spray-painted cassette tapes. Would have
I enjoyed the new Megafaun album I bought four days ago if it wasn't for
the amazing art etching on the fourth side? Of course! (it's a really good
record), but not nearly as much.

RECORD STORES
This is the point that I die on every time, as I truly believe that the
end of the record store is going to mean substantial problems for the
music industry - much greater than just the ability to buy physical
product. Here we go...

1. If record stores die, where will independent/self-released artists go
to sell their wares (think about that amazing wall in your local record
store promoting the latest and greatest by musicians in your community)?
The reason artists have been able to develop themselves in the past is
they have been able to grow with their fan base, selling their merch
locally, then regionally, then nationally, then internationally as they
succeed as an artist. Throw everyone in the pot that is digital album
sales and you no longer have that support and growth from a local level -
it's everyone, everywhere vying for the top spot. Really I think this
sends us back to the days when the major recording labels were the only
ones getting any major placement/album sales since they have the money to
buy out the main advertising spots on the distribution method. I don't
know this for sure, but I'd be willing to bet some money that the "single
of the day" on iTunes isn't picked by some under-paid record store clerk
who just really loves that band, but rather it is paid for by whomever has
the money to do so. Besides this point, when an artist skips the steps of
local-regional-national-international in terms of their fan base growth,
it is very hard to book shows. For example, the first ten records of a new
digital record could be sold in ten entirely different and regionally
unobtainable markets across the world, whereas if I sold them all locally
I have ten potential fans who might come to my show, spread the word,
etc.. This continues throughout the whole growth model, and I can continue
to branch out from my home base.

2. If you take record stores away, where are people going to see posters
for shows and then buy tickets for those shows? Where are people going to
talk to other local music nerds or answer printed wanted ads and start
bands? Where are people going to talk to folks they would never talk to
other than for their extreme passion of music? Yes, I realize that there
are digital equivalents for all these things, but keeping the
money/talent/information localized is a good thing that will be lost in
the many websites and bulletin boards of the internet.

3. My strongest reasoning for the survival of local independent record
stores is their integral part in a healthy local music scene - they are
like one "organ" of the body this is a local music scene. For example:
they buy ads in local entertainment media, which in turn keeps those media
outlets in business, which in turn provides coverage on new local talent,
who in turn sell merchandise at the record store. It's a beautiful loop,
and in a lot of cities, no local record stores means no local
entertainment media, and that's no good for local bands. How about the
manufacturing system? Physical product is manufactured and sent to a
distributor, who in turn sell it to record stores - no record stores means
no distributors and no manufacturing plants. This is not just jobs lost
when these businesses close down, but valuable parts of a regional musical
network. I have to admit I haven't had any organs removed from my body to
date, but I'm pretty sure the loss of one never comes without problems
further down the chain.

I may sound like an old man in a rocking chair on my front porch
proclaiming the end of the world - and maybe I am - but at the same time
I'll admit that the digital age has brought about some amazing wins for
the small artist in terms of promotion and sales that I do wish to
acknowledge. The democratization of music distribution and promotion is a
good thing and has allowed for some really amazing, non-commercial
material to grace my ears. At the same time, I am constantly inundated
with heaps of the worst garbage ever made. It has become too easy to
become a musician in a lot of ways - recording, promotion and distribution
can be done on almost no investment - and I think this has brought about
the end of the music career Eno talked about in that quote which started
us down this path. There are just too many people making so many
splintered, random, sometimes-putrid and sometimes-wonderful variations of
music to ever have another Beatles, Rolling Stones or Roxy Music. At the
same time, though physical product may not be of interest to the casual
music listener (and therefore a career built on selling physical product
vs digital sales is not attainable), as long as there are weirdo music
fans out there like myself, I feel (and hope) there will always be a place
for physical medium.

-Myke