Re: LaFosse about EDP in 2003 (was: Can two EDP's do this? How?)

On 1 Feb 2010, at 08:47, andy butler wrote:

> http://loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/echoplex.html
>
> http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Pro%20Audio/Echoplex/
>
> interesting question though,
>
> how to sum up it's uniqueness.

yes, I felt I should say something. but I said so much already... I
will try to sum it up eventually!

but now, looking for other stuff, I stumbled over a text written by
our genius Andre and I hope he does not mind if I repost it.
the first part describes a EDP typical technique,
the second part is a more general impression:
***************************
11-01-2003 Andre LaFosse at Talkbass

Hello bass-playing people,

MKS said,

I'm a little unclear about what Andre refers to as "Remultiplying" and
how he achieves "Loop Windowing".

Think of it this way:

1. If you multiply an initial loop, then each multiple of that loop is
called a "cycle" in EDP-speak. Example: a two-second loop multiplied
four times creates an 8-second loop, made up of four cycles (multiples
of the original loop.)

2. "Remultiplying" is the process of altering the number of cycles in
the loop, after multiplying them out initially. So, the four-cycle
loop in the example above could be shortened, by remultiplying it back
down to one, two, or three cycles.

(The loop length could also be increased, by remultiplying it out to a
number of cycles greater than four. It could basically be any number
of cycles you like - 16, 11, 39... so long as you have enough memory
in your given loop.)

3. "Windowing" in its most basic form involves remultiplying a loop
down to a smaller number of cycles, and then using the "undo" button
to scroll through material which was contained in the other cycles
which you got rid of (by remultiplying down).

Windowing might make more sense if you think of sheet music: say
you've got a four-measure pattern, with a repeat sign at the end of
the fourth bar (a loop!). Then say that you get rid of measures two
through four, so that you're just repeating the first measure. That's
remultiplying.

And by hitting undo on the EDP after you remultiply, you're
effectively dropping fragments of those other three measures back into
the loop - hence the name "windowing."

Remultiplying (my guess):
MoreLoops>1, Switchquant=ON
Press Nextloop then use Multiply to select how many cycles to take
forward into the next loop in the "lame duck" period (their words!).

You're on the right basic track - when you copy a loop into another
loop location, the EDP does treat it like you're multiplying. So as
soon as loop copying begins, you can basically think of the process in
the same way that I described remuliplying above.

(The one caveat is that windowing won't be quite as effective in the
copied loop, because when you copy a loop you effectively "wipe the
memory" clean in the new loop. In other words, you get the audio
content, but you can't undo back beyond whatever is in the loop when
you make the copy.)

It strikes me that the INSERT and MULTIPLY functions are the ones that
need most study by an EDP newbie. They're very deep...

They are indeed deep, but whether or not they're priority functions
depends on what you're interested in accomplishing, both in a
technical sense and in an aesthetic one.

For instance, Matthias Grob (EDP inventor and Pillow Mountain
recording artist!) uses feedback all the time - so much so that he
dedicated 25% of the EDP's processing power just to regulating
feedback, so that it'll sound smooth and musical. There are lots of
ways to use feedback - fading an entire loop out is the most obvious
and common way, but there's all sorts of more subtle ways to change
the content or development in just one part of a loop, or to evolve
the loop in different ways.

I hardly ever use feedback, and Matthias never uses the replace
function (which I use all the time). They're sort of polar opposites
in terms of the sound they produce, and the differences between what
Matthias and I (for example) gravitate towards are based on what kind
of sounds we like to hear, and how we use the EDP to get those musical
results.

The best recommendation I can give for digging into the EDP is to work
across the front panel function buttons from left to right. The
interface isn't just an arbitrary collection of buttons - there's a
very deep and carefully thought-out order to the controls, and each
new function builds on concepts and principles that are introduced in
previous ones, and which permeate the EDP as a whole. There's a load
of stuff to be had with just record, overdub, and multiply that is
utterly unique to the Echoplex...

Anyway, I hope this helps clarify things... (And hi to Steve, Michael,
Max, and any other familiar folks who might be reading....)

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com