Re: MPX4 and RjDj

At 4:16 PM -0800 2/6/10, david kirkdorffer wrote:
>Two new technologies I've come across allow music listening to be
>more of an 'active' rather than a passive listening experience -
>RjDj and MXP4.

I haven't played around with these two, but BT put out an app for the
iPhone/iPodTouch called Sonifi that allows you to remix a track of
his ("Rose Of Jericho") in a roughly similar manner.  I'll tell you
that it's a frickin' blast, too!  Every time I boot it up, I lose an
hour just futzing around with the available remix capabilities.  It's
got all of BT's signature glitch and stutter-edit effects (just bump
or shake the iPhone in different directions) which lead to a great
deal of sonic enjoyment on their own, not to mention filter and
bit-crush capabilities using the touchscreen.

So, you can probably guess that as a listener/participant, I think
things like this are a lot of fun.

I am a bit disappointed that you can only use Sonifi with the remix
stems that come bundled with it.  And as a musician, I actually
wonder if this might not be a new delivery medium for singles.  There
are already lots of extended singles and EP's that are nothing more
than a collection of remixes by different people.

It strikes me as an interesting concept that a single might be
released as a set of these "stems", with which people can mix and
match as they play with the application.  Sounds like a great
value-add for promoting the album; much more than today's standard
remix EP, which is usually only picked up by collectors and
completists.

        --m.
--
_____
"beyond this window, night is shuddering and the earth grinds to a halt