Re: Cool, Affordable, Contact Mics from bass Yogi Uccello

Ace, Wow, you did your own bridge install-that's a hard job! Sounds like a cool bass-just needs some love.  If you're on a small budget and want to get into slapping upright, here are a couple links that might help:

Strings:
http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1858-STRING_SET_INNOVATION_SILVERSLAPS_140SLP_SILVER_SLAP.html

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1859-STRING_SET_INNOVATION_GOLDENSLAPS_140GLP_GOLDEN_SLAP.html

Pickup:
http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product_details.cfm?ProdID=1309

Here's pretty cool talk bass forum relating to cheap finger board repair:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-66028.html

As far as using Crank's piezo contact mics on upright bass, I'm not sure how it would sound, if I were to put one on my upright bass I would go for either the front or back surface of the bridge and try to clip it on firmly (def needs experimenting) you could probably find some light weight, small, clips at your local hardware store, or some kind of U shaped clip would work, may be. I would imagine you could then plug it right into looper/mixer/amp.  On the drum in my video, it was plugged into a little tiny mixer then to the looper.

 In regards to why Jaco put epoxy on his fret board, I think it was to fill the fret slots, no need on an upright. Usually a really beat finger board can benefit hugely from a re-plane by someone who knows their stuff, but if you're the DIY type, you could look into sanding, acrylics, dyes, ect. to revitalize the finger board.  I don't know much in that department.  Also, if you want lower tension, the first thing is to lower the action, and make sure the nut is not to high. Another thing you might need to do is 'crown' the bridge, basically round it all out so the string troughs do not have corners on either side, this lets the string move around the bridge and lessens any 'stiffness'.  Aside from structural/setup issues, all you can really do is get light tension strings to increase playability.  And lastly, preamps are nice, especially if you're playing into a pa w/ no bass amp. Not always necessary depending on how your amp sounds alone, though.  Here's a link to a few preamps over at the bass store: Lemur Music.

http://shop5.mailordercentral.com/lemurmusic/Upright-Bass-Preamps--EQs/products/59/

Good luck and keep me posted!