Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:55:37 +0000
Subject: Re: Rang III reviews
From: markmcglinchey@gmail.com
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com

It isn't very thoughrough but a quick run through I did for Ace a few weeks back, also Ace I realised when I searched for this I didn't answer a question you had, yeah I'd avoid running a bass through my twin at all costs, also I don't use them as the PA, I only play live in a band context and at the moment I am only running guitar and occasionally a synth through them:

"Unfortunatly Ace I don't have any experience with the EDP to do comparisons but I can tell you my impressions of the rang III.

The first thing I noticed when I got it was it is much smaller than I expected which some people find a huge plus, for me it's no big deal but could be handy on occasion for throwing in a back pack. I find the sound quality to be very good, very little noise, even when boosting the incoming signal, and it replicates what I am playing absolutely fine (I too use amps, in my case Twin Reverbs).

The pedals are well separated but in truth I find the 2nd bonus button a little awkward, it is placed in the top right and I have to use the tip of my toe to press it, it would be fine if I sat down playing but standing up and with my big clown feet it took a little getting used to. The buttons do have an audible click when pressed but again it isn't a problem for me as I play quite loud. I do however wish there were more bonus buttons. I find stack, erase, undo and redo are core features that I want to have at all times. Add to that the fact that loop four is also a "bonus" option and the need for more buttons becomes more obvious. The reverse/fade/reverse solo and octave features are cool but I don't use them as often as I would due to the limited real estate for bonus buttons. As for the loop 4 thing I never use it as currently only serial play and master play for 2 of the loops is implemented and I find that without being able to play even the 3 other loops simultaneously I personally have no use for a 4th.

The build quality is very sturdy so I don't expect any problems there.

All in all, I think it is a great unit at the price point even now without the full implementation. When the full implementation is released I expect I will find a marked increase in the flexibility of it but I am not holding my breath on that yet. Strangely I get the feeling that were the software to have the full feature set I would find the bonus button situation even more frustrating as I will know the possibilities of the unit but still have to work around what features I can use and when.

Hope that helps a bit,"