Chicago feedback

This is tangentially related...possibly interesting. I did a loopy
improv set w/my tape decks last night in Chicago, at a very open-minded
establishment called Ronny's. One of the other acts playing, called
Sunglasses, had a fascinating approach. They had a couple of cheap
Yamaha keyboards, plus two or three pedals each, mainly delays and some
fuzz. Their set started with both of them playing a few massive notes on
the keys, then twiddling knobs for a moment, then they simply stepped
back from their gear, grabbed their beers and simply let the echoes die
down, listening along with the crowd. Not only was it interesting
musically, hearing different things emerge as the delays overlapped and
faded away at different rates, but somehow it was fascinating to watch
them...listen. I can't quite explain it, but there was something great
about these two guys simply drinking some beer and being totally
absorbed in the sound they'd created. They nodded their heads a bit,
even chatted for a second about what was going on, then simply closed
their eyes and waited along with the rest of us for the ten minutes or
so until all sound had disappeared.

Definitely made me think about what makes a good performance, because
this went against most rules that I know. Unlikely as it sounds, their
shtick totally worked for me, on many levels, I think because they
clearly knew what they were going for, and were intently involved in it,
even if more as listener than performer.

For a longer description, here's my tour diary (the earlier dates have
yet to be filled in).. http://www.swanwelder.com/tour/spring10.htm

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com