Re: OT: Recommendations for Microphone and Archtop or Acoustic Guitar

looppool@cruzio.com wrote:
> The microphones that we won the NAIRD Instrumental Album of the YEar
>award in
> 1998 for Martin Simpson's album  "Cool and Unusual"
> were an ATM 4050  and a Neumann K184
>
> The ATM 4033 ($400) is the identical microphone as the ATM 4050 just
> without multiple polar
> patterns (no big deal at all,  just point it where you want to record)
>
> additionally,  the 4033 is the exact same microphone as the pricier ATM
>4060
> which has an A12 tube in it.
>
> Instead of paying $1350 for an ATM 4060,  you can
> buy an ATM 4033 for $400 (or cheaper if purchased used)
> and use a tube mic preamp

I'll second the nomination for the AT. I've had a pair of 4050s for a
long time. I've tried others (for soprano and tenor sax, not guitar),
but when I do a serious a-b recording comparison, I always gravitate
back to the the 4050s. I've heard some very good results on a variety of
instruments using Mojave Audio mics, and I may try one, but if I had to
stick with the 4050s I wouldn't be heartbroken.