Re: unsubscribe

Robert Lewis schrieb:
> I'm looking for a recommendation for a looping pedal that I'll use for
> live solo shows.
>
> I need something high-end that lets me not just simply build on top of
> short loops, but also allows me to drop tracks in and out, and to
> switch between an A part and B part (verse to chorus, for example).
> Basically, I want a pedal that will allow me to play entire songs (in
> the vein of Radiohead/Sigur Ros/Boards of Canada) alone and with a
> minimum of pre-recording.
>
> I'm currently looking at a few things: a Boss RC-50, Echoplex Digital
> Pro, Abelton software (I'd bring a laptop onstage and trigger it with
> footpedals), or a combo of pedals that can be synched together.
> Currently I own a Line DL-4, which got me hooked on looping but which
> has become very limited very quickly.
First of all, looking at the comparison chart already mentioned is
always a good starting point. Second identify what you need and find a
way to describe it without any risk for misunderstandings.

As an example, you said "...allows me to drop tracks in and out...":
This could be a) undo/redo with a buffer several steps deep (which
allows you to remove overdubs one by one and then bring them back, but
only in the sequence they were recorded in, and not add something in
between), or b) multiple tracks.
"switch between A and B part":
if you're looking for multiple tracks, would that affect all tracks at
one or be selective for each track?
And so on...
And there's also the topic of feedback control (a whole topic in itself).

 From what you're describing, it seems that form factor is not an issue
for you: you're happy with floor pedals, rack gear and computer software
all the like, so here's the recommendation:

If you're playing songs exclusively, and songs where you can set (by
tapping) the tempo in advance, Ableton Live (without the looper plugin)
would be a simple choice.
Möbius (also mentioned by others) has a somewhat steep learing curve
just after the initial steps, mostly due to the EDPs concept which is
VERY deep and efficient but at times not simple out-of-the-box.
Both allow for track-selective A/B switching and multiple tracks. With
Ableton Live (again: without the looper plugin), there's no (easy) way
to overdub on the same track, so no undo/redo (for the overdubs).
Don't know about the Boss, but I don't like them...(very subjective and
personal).
The EDP is, as someone said, the Rolls Royce of looping - I'd rather say
it's the Porsche 911 of looping. It has great similarities to Möbius,
but doesn't offer stereo/multitrack/scripting/configurable UI, but then
again, you don't need a computer for it. Still, I personally would not
recommend it for your application, as multiple (separately controllable)
tracks might be of great use to you.

If you're open to using a computer and don't mind getting swallowed up
in an all-powerful looping solution, Möbius is the suggestion you get
from me.

And yes, we're a gentlemens' club/neighborhood bar, and we like it that
way. Perhaps you would've gotten a quicker response on almost any gear
forum, but you won't get a better response - anywhere else in the world.

Yours,

           Rainer

--
http://moinlabs.de