Somewhat OT- Internet rehearsal tools?

Hi folks, I have an issue that I think some of you tech-savvy persons may have some ideas about. I’m rehearsing a band – so far bass drums and me, but mallet percussion and violin players are probably joining in soon – and we are making great progress learning my songs… but the bass player just learned his car has mechanical problems he can’t afford to fix for awhile, he is 30 minutes away by car, and public transportation has some limitations, like no Sunday service to where I live. SO, in order to keep momentum, among other strategies, I am thinking about Internet-based tools to keep us going.

Skype has some value as a way to work through arrangement kinks and performance questions. GoToMeeting, which I use at work all the time, allows for shared screen and simultaneous talking, so looking at scores together and even listening to say a Cubase file and changing it quickly, just to cite 2 possible ways to use this tool, has some possibilities. It is $40/month after the free trial. Anyone used either Skype or GTM (the generic category is “conferencing software”) in any way for collaborative music creation?

Then there is playing together in real time. I’ve noted several conversations about that here over the years and never had a reason to pay close attention. I assume that like everything else online the landscape changes swiftly and frequently, so I wonder if those with some experience with this might share what they know.

We do need to  stay on the free or very-low-cost end of the solution spectrum.

Lastly, any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Hal Dean

PS- By way of a slight delurking, hear the demos for the band at  http://soundcloud.com/howl-din/sets/tiatp