Re: random and control (was: Sco live reverse looping)

I really can't say what I love the most, control or the loss of
control. Both scenarios are ultimately creative in music. I sometimes
imagine playing and composing on-the-fly as "flying". In this metaphor
"control" can be seen as air crafts, choppers, bridges, towers etc.
You only need a little bit of knowledge about flying to be able to
throw yourself out from any of these high places and the true magic is
that a new and unique adventure develops every time you take the
plunge.

I don't think this has anything to do with random though. Random only
exist if you take away any kind of human interpretation, and if you do
that you also take away the possibility of music.

But what then is "random music"? IMHO this is when "the composer"
succeeds in implementing a certain mindset, or attitude, into the
listener to make the listener screen and filter the sound in a way
that he/she experiences it "as music". This is a psychedelic dimension
of music that I find very interesting.

Per