Re: looping with a netbook

I tried for a while to run Ableton on my laptop in peformance. The one good thing is the CPU meter they provide which is extremely important. I had experimented with running some of the instrument voices via midi and recording and looping. I practiced and prepared until I thought I had gotten it all running pretty smoothly. I did a lot of work finding ways to shut off background services and keep it focused on running Ableton. And yet in the first ten minutes of a performance the system totally froze up and took a reboot to finally restore. I was running it on a Gateway with 2 gigs of Ram and a 1.8 Ghz dual core processor. Seems that this particular machine could either run virtual instruments OR record/playback but not both. I should add that I was running mics in through an TC Electronic audio interface as well as my guitar. My hope is to be able to do realtime remixing and dubbing and looping. I honestly don't think there is a laptop (let alone a notebook) with the resources to pull this all off. So now I'm looking at running voices off of an external sound module to see if that will work.That does create a very substantial load by itself. Of course a new,faster laptop is probably going to be required. So I guess it's about managing your expectations as much as anything. I would be curious to know what your hoped for result is. Mine were a little too ambitious for one machine. Since I was traveling, I too was concerned with adding yet another bit of machinery to the pile already taking over my luggage. Seems it always takes one more. This was all on Windows by the way. No experience with Linux.

--- On Sat, 6/5/10, Nadia Salom <nadia.salom@gmx.de> wrote:

From: Nadia Salom <nadia.salom@gmx.de>
Subject: looping with a netbook
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Date: Saturday, June 5, 2010, 4:34 AM

hi, i've had a lot of bad luck with my computer situation and would like to inform myself how I can get a relatively cheap solution to running ableton live suite 8. I like the idea of a netbook because it is so small and compact.. does anyone have experience with this?

also... does anyone have any experience running ableton on a linux using "wine"

 i need this for a performance situation... and live is really the only program that can work for me...

the Acer Aspire One D150 would be one option... or the
Lenovo IdeaPad S10e

?
best
nadia