Re: semi OT - Guitar Synths

Hi all!

With all this talk about guitar synths I though I'd pipe in with a related
question regarding a small problem I was having with my GK-2 equipped
Gibson over the weekend.

I've been playing Roland guitar synth gear since '91-'92 and have had the
same GK-2 on my '77 RD all this time.

I think that finally the little input 1/8th-inch mini socket for the audio
from the magnetic pickup has finally worn out on me.

Any time during my performance when I would accidentally touch or bump the
short little cable coming from the 1/4-inch phone cable out from the
guitar that goes into the little 1/8th-inch input on the triangular body
of the GK-2 control housing the analog audio signal would cut in an out
and be replaced by massive hum and noise.

Fortunately I was using mostly the COSM modified signal from the GK's
pickup element (mostly).

But when it would occasionally happ it was most annoying.

Anybody ever open up one of these things to do repairs and such on stuff
inside of the control housing?

The thing has been mounted on my guitar for 18 years or so without ever
being removed.

My Tele-copy has a much newer GK-3 which is a totally different animal.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever had to open up the triangular box
on an early GK-2 and replace or fix the connector or anything.

I'm not even sure it's possible.

I am just a bit anxious about having to remove and replace the old GK
because it has worked and tracked utterly flawlessly for all this time
(knock on wood).

I use both GR and VG based Roland devices, and this one guitar especially
has always given no problem in the area of tracking (I've been real lucky
in that way).

BTW, I have more than one version of the little patch cable that goes
between the guitar and the GK and was able to double check to make sure it
was not just a problem with the cable.

It's definitely the socket on the GK box.

Any advice?

Ted