Re: Kims music,contribution to the developments of the EDP and the aftermath...

Louie Angulo wrote:
> Hi People,
> Ive always been curious about Kim,though i never met him personally
> I also heard rumors of many
> disagreements with other contributors and developers of the EDP,and
> problems with Gibson, etc.
> It also seems that in the past years he suddently disappeared from the
> list and didnt hear a word of him.
> im sure his contributions to this list
> were maybe at one point the most important thing in his life as well.
> cheers
> Luis

hi Luis,
I was never lucky enough to have met Kim in person. At the
time of the loop4 software development he was certainly a presence,
but it seemed he simply didn't have time to contribute on a day
to day basis. Nevertheless he kept track of developments, making sure
that no useful feature was removed, and that the stuff added
made sense.

Kim was never in favour of the idea to make a software version
of the EDP and this ultimately lead him to quit Aurisis Research
altogether, wishing Matthias success with his project.

I've been on LD since almost the beginning, and followed (and
eventually participated in) a number
of threads where Kim was a major participant.

We've seen Kim's achievements listed here in the last few days,
and as far as I know it's all spot on true.
Without Kim there wouldn't be an LD website, no mailing list,
and there wouldn't be
the international live looping community.
...and hence my own life would be so considerably different I
can't even guess what it would be like.

Rick Walker wrote:
> Ted posted this:
> "I know many, many people made significant contributions in the early
> development of looping, but in memory of Kim, here's a vote to make Nov.
> 9 an International Looping Day."

There are people her who spent time with Kim since he stopped being an
active presence on the list, so if I'm misrepresenting Kim in any
way then please accept my full apologies. In the days that he was
regular poster he expressed himself very clearly.

Kim's vision for a "Looping Community" was much broader than the live
looping community we have today.
He hoped that any musicians who used loops of all kinds would be able
to swap ideas, and learn from each others music.
Specifically, he was adamant that the term "looping" should include
people who create loops from samples in the studio, and I got the
impression that he was a bit disappointed that such folks never got
involved.
(just check out www.loopersdelight.com "Latest Looping Headlines" if
 you doubt this).
Indeed, when the community organised events under the banner of "Looping"
expressed his misgivings in no uncertain terms.
He thought it highly inappropriate that such a collection of performers
should claim to represent "looping", and he explained that opinion
on the list.
If you noticed how the events started to use the term "Live Looping" to
make a distinction, then be informed that Kim played a part in that, though
to be truly honest I can't recall that he ever endorsed that term either.

Let's make sure that any memorials keep in mind Kim's unique vision.

andy butler