ASIO problems apparently solved!

I wrestled with ASIO4ALL for quite a while, frankly, and was about to just give up on its tendency to decide my Line-in channels were 'in use by another application' - but not all the time, which was really frustrating!  My wife had bought me a copy of Sonar 8.5 for Christmas and since then I was REALLY seething about it.  Tired with the iffy performance of the on-board VIA/Realtek motherboard hardware, I got ahold of an Asus PCIE D2X card, and for a bit still couldn't get the ASIO4ALL module to obey, until I went in with the invaluable CCleaner application, and looked at my Startup and Drivers sections:  Not only had previous sound modules (including an aborted installation of a PCI card that just didn't work under anything newer than Windows XP SP1, great support C-Media!) left their rubbish everywhere, but the uninstalled ASIO4ALL was still working in the background.  I sighed and manually cleared them out thanks to CCleaner (which stands for Crap Cleaner if you must know), and rebooted.  Reinstalled the Asus card's drivers and another reboot, then a fatalistic running of Sonar to see what it could detect... and lo and behold, Sonar has a native version of ASIO that runs just bloody fine!

Let the remastering begin!  Starting with my only physical performance in the UK (thanks to Steve Lawson) in 2001, at the "Critical Mass" shows.  The recording's on MD but it sounds great and won't require any cleanup so far as I can tell.  And now I'll be a bit more versatile for the online performances as well, since use of my beloved Mellotron VST is no longer obfuscated.

Sigh.  Finally!

Lastly, this Friday's Audio Tarot Bone Throw has an all-American 4th of July theme, complete with recent footage taken in NYCNY from the Empire State Building.  What fun!

Stephen Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*
http://www.earthlight.net