Re: analogue guitar

Gareth Whittock wrote:
> Well keep us posted if you ever get your hands on one Tom.
> I guess one of these, with its rock solid, super fast note detection and
> a standard midi interface for string bending and pluck strength would do
> it for me.  It remains to be seen whether it ever comes to market.
> Then I'd be looking for a left-handed copy... oh dear..

hi Gareth,
the standard midi interface, as it exists today anyway,
is unlikely to behave in the way you expect.
The Note-On is a "fast as possible" guess, and
one function of the pitch bend data is to quickly
correct guesses that were out by a semitone or 2.

That's why a midi guitar won't play right at all
if the pitch bend on the detector doesn't match
that on the synth.

So a your rock solid instantaneous switching system
would be messed up by unexpected semitone or tone
jumps.

Unfortunately you'll still be relying on the midi
note-on conversion for accuracy.

The kind of lookup table you described to sort out
the midi CC into the right notes would be easy to
achieve in Plogue Bidule ( in case it's not possible with
the software you're using).

Suggestion.
It's possible to do pitch detection with Bidule, so you
could make a hybrid system where the original note
is got by your hardware switching, and the bend info
is then calculated.

andy