recording methods - what's your approach?

Hey guys,
I'm about to make a start on an album of expanded looping guitar and I've been wondering how to go about making recordings that are fresh and spontaneous with hopefully a reasonably high level of playing proficiency. I normally make recordings by rehearsing ideas that have spontaneously occurred out of looping jam sessions but when I work this way, it simply doesn't feel the same as when there's no pressure to get it "right" - whatever that means. I've compared rough but spontaneous recordings with more precise, technically superior recordings and I nearly always prefer the former.
So I've decided to informally record a lot of my "jams" and treat the editing of them together as another part of the compositional process.
Does anyone else work this way here? I'm curious...

Peace

Gareth